Friday, March 19, 2010

The power of powerpoint

This week we have been guided through some information on powerpoint. I can see how it is an essential tool for any teacher. However, in my professional life prior to this course I have not had the need to use this program and as such this was somewhat of an introduction.

I have created the following slides for a primary lesson in HPE. I have tried to include moving text, graphics and sound into my presentation to cater for student individual differences and align with engagement theory. I have also incorporated a real life task for the assessment in following the Relate, Create, Donate approach.

The end result is fine but I can see there is much room for improvement. I tended to rely on stock options within the program package would like to learn how to embed custom animation, external video and sound files. I aim to spend more time getting acquainted with this program and learn how to put together a really entertaining show that enhances my learning objectives.
image courtesy: mmadams90.wordpress.com

5 comments:

  1. OK I have just checked my powerpoint link. I had to link the file to an external google docs folder in order to include my powerpoint presentation as blogger does not allow you to attach such files as in an email. It appears that my animations and sounds have not transferred via this process. Agghhh the trials and tribulations of technology! Stay tuned I will try and sort this out/ or welcome your suggestions.
    Naomi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Naomi, I thought your powerpoint was great (considering you haven't really used it much). If I can get mine to resemble yours, I think I will be doing OK! I liked the inclusion of photos and pictures and I think it will be great once you get passed the initial teething problems (that is, the sounds and animations work). Well done. Regards, Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Naomi,
    Great job. I love the way the presentation was directed at the students - using their language. I think it is something they would really relate to and learn from. Love the group work activity at the end.
    Well done. Sally

    ReplyDelete
  4. omg Naomi, I really liked that :-)
    loved the colored photos too..it's given me more of an idea of what to do with my powerpoint presentations, thanks.

    I need to create something as part of my first ICT assessment so I can relate to your linking one part to the other to get it all to 'play' ugh, I'm dreading it lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Naomi, I also liked your presentation and thought you had a good variety of material in there to make it interesting, such as the video link and different images and charts. Great job!
    Carolyne

    ReplyDelete